CHATTERBOX

This is the Church of the Venerated Saint Johnny Thunders - Patron Saint of Rock & Roll Guitarists

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
MJG196

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:29 pm

sir doug wrote:
since no one seems to write anything about the movie, it must be said. Looking for johnny is a decent movie, nothing else, no interesting footage, no good interviews and nothing new whatsoever that you can'tread in any rocklexicon. Looking for johnny? he didn't find him.

I completely disagree. It isn't made for the hardcore fan. It is made to humanize an oft-ignored innovator and influence, and it did just that. The people I took to the movie had never seen ANY of the footage and came away thinking that JT wasn't "just" a junkie guitar player.
Back to top Go down
sir doug

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:31 pm

MJG196 wrote:
sir doug wrote:
since no one seems to write anything about the movie, it must be said. Looking for johnny is a decent movie, nothing else, no interesting footage, no good interviews and nothing new whatsoever that you can'tread in any rocklexicon. Looking for johnny? he didn't find him.

I completely disagree.  It isn't made for the hardcore fan.  It is made to humanize an oft-ignored innovator and influence, and it did just that.  The people I took to the movie had never seen ANY of the footage and came away thinking that JT wasn't "just" a junkie guitar player.

interesting, the people I saw it with who are no thunders fans, didn 't think the movie humanized him a bit, their comment was: what a sad junkie.

time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Razorback
Admin

Number of posts : 1880
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:05 am

Anybody from Europe already got his perks from Jungle ??...I wasn't in Paris when they did the premiere, and I'm still sitting on my ass, patiently waiting for the DVD. My thoughts about it will come later.
Back to top Go down
http://chatterbox.freeforumboard.net
Razorback
Admin

Number of posts : 1880
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 am

Watched it yesterday.......nice movie, at least Johnny gets the tribute he deserved althought the absence of complete live songs is a little bit frustrating. Certainly because of the issues they had with copyrights....Warner never replied for the "so alone" material.
Drugs abuse is evocated, you can't do without it, but it's much more focalizing on the musician/song writer carreer.
Back to top Go down
http://chatterbox.freeforumboard.net
Marchal

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:55 am

Yes! just got it in the mail today!!!
I got to see it already at the London premiere... but can't wait to also see the extra's Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.pleasure-thrills.net
Dirtman

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-03-03

PostSubject: my two-cents worth   Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 am

Watched the dvd last night and enjoyed it a lot.  I thought it flowed nicely, and the stories and testimonies of so many of his friends, admirers, and musical peers were a touching and entertaining tribute to JT.  My only reservation about the film is that, for anyone not already familiar with Thunders or the Dolls music, I don't think most the audio clips represented his songs or his guitar playing in the best light, but I'm sure that was due to licensing and budgetary restraints.  

Anyone here know if Stevie Klasson's song "Looking For Johnny" which plays over the end credits will be released on the soundtrack album, or if it's available elsewhere?   I dug it.
Back to top Go down
alan

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 am

Dirtman wrote:
Watched the dvd last night and enjoyed it a lot.  I thought it flowed nicely, and the stories and testimonies of so many of his friends, admirers, and musical peers were a touching and entertaining tribute to JT.  My only reservation about the film is that, for anyone not already familiar with Thunders or the Dolls music, I don't think most the audio clips represented his songs or his guitar playing in the best light, but I'm sure that was due to licensing and budgetary restraints.  

Anyone here know if Stevie Klasson's song "Looking For Johnny" which plays over the end credits will be released on the soundtrack album, or if it's available elsewhere?   I dug it.

Yeah, it's going to be on the soundtrack album
Back to top Go down
Dirtman

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:07 am

alan wrote:

Ah, good to know.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Gil

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:24 pm

alan wrote:
Dirtman wrote:

Here's the video:

Back to top Go down
armadefuego

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2007-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:25 am

Good film, not excellent, in my opinion.
Too many talking heads, awkward graphic trickery and incomplete songs;
a typical, slightly boring approach to making a music documentary on a shoestring budget.
Still, it's good that we have it, cheers to all involved!
Back to top Go down
Dirtman

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:24 am

armadefuego wrote:

I'll second that emotion.
Back to top Go down
Dirtman

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:25 am

Gil wrote:
Here's the video:

Cool song and video. Thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down
thunderchk66

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Just stopping by....My thoughts on the movie    Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:05 pm

I got my DVD from amazon.com

I could not contribute to the film but enjoyed it very much..

a few things got to me...They never showed Susanne being interviewed or Stevie Not even in the bonus stuff ??
maybe it will be on your DVDs ???
is there other versoins to this film..??? wondering?? Rolling Eyes

I am glad to own it.. I am proud to have something of Johnny that is a breath of fresh air like the Arthur documentary ..

Hope all is well with everyone..
Back to top Go down
flofleming

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:03 pm

thunderchk66 wrote:
I got my DVD from amazon.com

I could not contribute to the film but enjoyed it very much..

a few things got to me...They never showed Susanne being interviewed or Stevie  Not even in the bonus stuff   ??  
maybe it will be on your DVDs ???
is there other versoins to this film..???   wondering??  Rolling Eyes

I am glad to own it.. I am proud to have something of Johnny that is a breath of fresh air  like the Arthur documentary ..

Hope all is well with everyone..  

Phyllis Stein said Susanne declined to be interviewed. Don't know about Stevie. Here's a cyberstalker's tip - if you want to see short clips of Susanne talking, dancing, etc., check out her much younger husband's instagram page, maxwijk. (Not my fault if they don't use the privacy control;-)
Back to top Go down
alan

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:07 am

armadefuego wrote:
Good film, not excellent, in my opinion.
Too many talking heads, awkward graphic trickery and incomplete songs;
a typical, slightly boring approach to making a music documentary on a shoestring budget.

I agree.

Too many talking heads taht dont say anything... and incomplete songs. The talking heads may talk..but they don't really say anything, like ... Timo Kaltio who only says that Johnny took smack. - after 30 minutes of other people talking about drugs , do we really need Timo Caltio to tell us that Johnny took smack ? That was the only thing he had to say. - I mean, I don't understand why there's Timo Kaltio in the film, - when he really says nothing.. actually, - most people on the film never say how they even met Johnny in the first place, or how they ended up playing with him, etc.. there's none of that.

How did Timo Caltio meet Johnny, When did he play with him, when did Sami Yaffa play with Johnny - how did they meet, or Simon Ritt, - how did they meet. How did Alison Gordy or Jill, Stevie Klasson or Musto end up in Johnny's band. - Yet, these people are in the film. How and when did Jimmy Miller, Luigi or Lotten Sunna meet Johnny Thunders ? Why did they stop working together ?

Most people in the film, - don't really say anything.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:08 am

alan wrote:
How did Timo Caltio meet Johnny, When did he play with him, when did Sami Yaffa play with Johnny - how did they meet, or Simon Ritt, - how did they meet. How did Alison Gordy or Jill, Stevie Klasson or Musto end up in Johnny's band. - Yet, these people are in the film. How and when did Jimmy Miller, Luigi or Lotten Sunna meet Johnny Thunders ?  Why did they stop working together ?

The film is about JT. It isn't about his friends or bandmates. Why do we need to know how these people met him? Most decent docs are able to keep the focus on the subject. If the doc would have covered the comings and goings of all his prominent bandmates/collaborators then there would be no time for anything else.

Back to top Go down
sir doug

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:24 pm

MJG196 wrote:
alan wrote:
How did Timo Caltio meet Johnny, When did he play with him, when did Sami Yaffa play with Johnny - how did they meet, or Simon Ritt, - how did they meet. How did Alison Gordy or Jill, Stevie Klasson or Musto end up in Johnny's band. - Yet, these people are in the film. How and when did Jimmy Miller, Luigi or Lotten Sunna meet Johnny Thunders ?  Why did they stop working together ?

The film is about JT.  It isn't about his friends or bandmates.  Why do we need to know how these people met him?  Most decent docs are able to keep the focus on the subject. If the doc would have covered the comings and goings of all his prominent bandmates/collaborators then there would be no time for anything else.

but the problem is that we don't get to known johnny at all.
Back to top Go down
alan

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:33 pm

MJG196 wrote:
alan wrote:

The film is about JT.  It isn't about his friends or bandmates.  Why do we need to know how these people met him?  Most decent docs are able to keep the focus on the subject. If the doc would have covered the comings and goings of all his prominent bandmates/collaborators then there would be no time for anything else.

LOL - When you say: " If the doc would have covered the comings and goings of all his prominent bandmates/collaborators then there would be no time for anything else. - what is the " anything else" ? - when the director didn't get the money for the music ? What do you mean "anything else ? " What else is there but interviews ?

I would agree with you had there been more music, cause most decent music documentaries have music, you know.. but this one don't. - Yeah, I agree the film is about JT... but JT is all about music, -  so without his music. The focus point is in the memories that Johnny's friends have. If Johnny's bandmates and friends don't share their own personal stories and experiences with the audience, then what do we have without music and good interviews.  ... without music: there's only interviews with friends and bandmates, and if the interviews have no real content, - then what do we have in the film?

Nothing.
Back to top Go down
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Two people I thought came across really well were Gail Higgins and Walter Lure. You've gotta feel for long-suffering Walter - to be so close to success, and have your cart hitched to such a shaky wagon. It must have driven him crazy. Gail Higgins seemed to have a true understanding of Johnny and his complex personality. Julie Jourden is somewhat vilified, while Susanne Blomquist is somewhat glorified. I find this a bit unfair, when you consider that Jourden was either pregnant or raising small children from the day she met Johnny, who at the time was making no money and shooting heroin throughout their relationship, taking her welfare checks, etc.. On the other hand, Blomquist got to spend the first 5 years of their relationship without children or responsibilities, flitting around the globe partying on Johnny's dime, with her biggest decisions being what to wear the next day. Notice that the minute she gets pregnant (if you go by Nina's timeline when she "realizes that all is not well in Stockholm") is the point at which the relationship begins to end. At least we now know why he even did that last tour of Japan when he was so ill. Apparently he feared that the Japanese company that agreed to finance his New Orleans record would back out if he didn't show up for those gigs. It's so tragic he had to go on in that condition. He was one tough motherfucker.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:39 am

flofleming wrote:
Two people I thought came across really well were Gail Higgins and Walter Lure. You've gotta feel for long-suffering Walter - to be so close to success, and have your cart hitched to such a shaky wagon.  It must have driven him crazy.  Gail Higgins seemed to have a true understanding of Johnny and his complex personality.  Julie Jourden is somewhat vilified, while Susanne Blomquist is somewhat glorified.  I find this a bit unfair, when you consider that Jourden was either pregnant or raising small children from the day she met Johnny, who at the time was making no money and shooting heroin throughout their relationship, taking her welfare checks, etc.. On the other hand, Blomquist got to spend the first 5 years of their relationship without children or responsibilities, flitting around the globe partying on Johnny's dime, with her biggest decisions being what to wear the next day.  Notice that the minute she gets pregnant (if you go by Nina's timeline when she "realizes that all is not well in Stockholm") is the point at which the relationship begins to end.  At least we now know why he even did that last tour of Japan when he was so ill.  Apparently he feared that the Japanese company that agreed to finance his New Orleans record would back out if he didn't show up for those gigs.  It's so tragic he had to go on in that condition.  He was one tough motherfucker.

+1
Back to top Go down
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:51 am

Billy Rath has some extended interview footage, but I can hardly understand him. I am happy he was able to participate, but he really looked and sounded awful. I just think of the guy playing bass for the 'Breakers and Iggy, and then to see a withered, ancient toothless man was just really sad.

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:11 pm

MJG196 wrote:
Billy Rath has some extended interview footage, but I can hardly understand him.  I am happy he was able to participate, but he really looked and sounded awful.  I just think of the guy playing bass for the 'Breakers and Iggy, and then to see a withered, ancient toothless man was just really sad.

Yeah, that is weird to see him like that. I know he had throat cancer, so maybe he had cancer in his mouth too or something. Otherwise, how come he never got some dentures?
Back to top Go down
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:21 am

flofleming wrote:
Yeah, that is weird to see him like that.  I know he had throat cancer,  so maybe he had cancer in his mouth too or something.  Otherwise, how come he never got some dentures?  

Dentures are expensive. Very expensive.

WAY off topic, but for those that don't know, in the USA dentists are extremely expensive and if you don't have health insurance then you probably can't afford even routine cleanings.

I live in Virginia, and the western part of the state is among the poorest areas of the country. Every year doctors head out there and offer either dentist or physician visits for free. Almost everyone picks dental work because sometimes living with cancer or other life-threatening illnesses is less painful than teeth rotting in your mouth.

So, to bring this back to Billy, he probably couldn't afford the most basic health care.
Back to top Go down
rtbuck

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:07 pm

I enjoyed the documentary. Sure I wish they would've added full songs in the extras(I would have gladly paid double the cost for an additional DVD of extras. I loved the deluxe version of Super Duper Alice Cooper which came with a concert audio disc and also a bonus DVD concert from 1972). Anyway, I was very happy with it. I had always read or heard that he was ill at the time of his death but I didn't realize how bad he was towards the end. Back then there was no internet and I didn't even know that he had the Oddballs as his band. Luckily we had a record store that carried Johnny Thunders records so I was able to buy Copycats and Bootlegging the Bootleggers and also I got the Dead or Alive Vhs and the In Cold Blood book from there but I had no way of knowing what was going on in his life. After his death I didn't know of the oddballs band until Add Water and Stir came out. I do look forward to the soundtrack coming out. I really liked the Stevie Klasson tune. I thought they might have talked to Stevie a little more. Were the oddballs finished by the time Johnny died? I think Stevie said he and Jerry were going to get together with Johnny in New Orleans

It was so sad seeing Billy Rath looking the way he did and MJG is correct with dental costs. It is ridiculous! We have coverage and I still won't go unless something is really wrong because the co pays are sooooo expensive.
Back to top Go down
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Yes, I think Stevie probably had a lot more he could tell us. The Oddballs were the last band JT played with right before he died, on the Japanese tour a few weeks before he went to New Orleans (there's a video of that tour available). Maybe it was just that era of bowls of cocaine provided by the record company in the studio or whatever, but with Johnny's manager providing everyone with drugs it was hardly an environment conducive to Johnny achieving sobriety. Hell, it seems that girlfriend is still doing blow at 53 if you follow her instagram comments. Not much help there. I know there was adequate information and help available at that time, as I went through rehab twice in '86 and got clean. Just wish he'd had better direction.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   

Back to top Go down

Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next